All the chess pieces have a circular base fitted with a baluster column surmounted by a spinning top. The “white” pieces are made of silver and the “black” pieces are silver-gilt. The 32 pieces are displayed in a leather-covered box and fit exactly into the box’s compartments. The lid of the box features a chessboard with a hand-gilt frame.
~ Recognition mark of the city of Brünn in Austria-Hungaria standing for the year 1814
~ 1814 identification hallmark of the City of Brünn
Brno (known under its Austrian name of Brünn) is the capital city of Moravia, the Czech province situated between Bohemia and Slovakia. Located near the battlefield of Austerlitz, Brno was visited in succession by the main protagonists in the battle, especially the famous Russian General Kutuzov and the Emperor himself.
~ The Master Silversmith is until now unidentified
SILVER AND SILVER-GILT
Height of the pions : circa 5 cm
Lenght of the box : 28,5 cm
Width of the box : 27,5 cm
The chess game started for the first time in India around 455 AD. The Arabic armies of the Caliph Omar were passioned for this game, a few decades later in Persia. They liked it so much that they brought some modifications such as a separation of the 64 compartments into 32 white compartments and the same in black. The name of the game comes from Arabic " Sheiks " which means leader or wise person. The chess game was afterward propagated worldwide in the Far East and in Europe.